Pages

2011-05-20

Hunger


The day had started like any other,
As usual I was talking to myself;
It did not seem at all unnatural,
Yet I was apprehended, frowned on.

I told myself, “I am hungry”,
I responded, “Go get your food”;
“Where do I get it?” I requested.
“Earn it”, came the curt reply.

Neither was I sure how to do that.
Nor was I aware how to learn;
Nevertheless I decided to try,
I could not afford to go hungry.

I treaded down the path I was on,
There were so many people around;
They were all busy in their own work
Inundated in a world of their own.

A curtain parted in front of me,
It was all suddenly so lucid;
A fog seemed to melt away,
I could see the horizon and beyond.

It was painfully obvious to me then
Everyone was busy at the same work,
They were all pursuing the same goal,
To earn the bread for self and family.

The more I looked the more it was evident.
An overwhelming curiosity pegged me on,
All other feelings and sensations subsided
Had to find the underlying cause and reason.

It's now time to turn in,
I am full and well fed,
There's one thing I learnt today,
As I toiled for my bread.

By sweat, blood or toil;
By means evil or good,
No matter how things stack up,
We had to earn our food.

No comments:

Post a Comment